Caring for an incapacitated adult

The care of the most-vulnerable members of your family is, likely, your foremost concern. At the Ellahie Law Firm, we can advise you on making crucial decisions about the financial support, protection and guardianship of developmentally disabled or physically challenged adults, or of similarly disadvantaged children who face a precarious future if care is not taken to provide for them.

Choosing a guardian for your child

You should name a guardian who will raise your children according to your parental philosophies. The court will reject a guardian who is unwilling or unable to care for your child. We suggest that you name an alternate guardian to fulfill the role if your primary guardian choice is unavailable. We also recommend that you thoroughly discuss your decision with your chosen guardian to confirm that the guardian is willing and prepared to accept the full responsibility of caring for your child as you see fit 

Importance of a will

Naming a guardian is especially important if you are a single parent or in the event that both parents were to die in a common incident. If you do not name a guardian, it is the court that will appoint a guardian for your children, and the court might make an unacceptable decision. You can make your own parenting decisions by drafting a will and updating your will if your designated guardian dies or becomes incapacitated.